Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Day 11: time til regret

In one of the comments phil mentioned the concept of time to trail. Or how long it takes to pack your stuff up and go.  I have been noticing another version I've been mentally calling time til regret. Mostly this has been in the case of me wearing a hoodie when we start out in the morning. It generally takes me any 10 minutes to regret wearing it..

We passed the midpoint of the trail today, and just after the midpoint is the pine grove furnace country store. Home of the half gallon challenge. After the halfway point you eat a half gallon of ice cream. We have been hanging with an awesome group of thru hikers and we all took up the challenge.  As it turns out the time to regret on eating a carton of ice cream, and a hand packed pint is about 25 minutes.

Eating that volume of food is slightly problematic, but doable and if it's the right food, pretty good. That much of any single thing, especially rich, sweet, creamy ice cream is downright bad. It doesn't take long before the very taste of sugar causes your tongue to cringe.

Turns out it takes about an hour to eat that much ice cream. A long grind of an hour spent laughing with 24 hour friends.

I'm sitting in camp, tendonitis setting in on my right ankle, a mystery sore throat, and about to go buy a giant burger. I'm considering my time til regret on this trip, and I'm happy to report ttr is greater than 11 days.

We saw this frog today what kind is he? What is a good name for him? All I know is he has unfounded confidence in his camouflage.

5 comments:

  1. I suspect that this is the rare frog prince. He is confident because he's a prince. Perhaps you should try kissing him to see whether he returns to his human form? Or perhaps I'm reading too many fairy tales these days. Hard to tell. ttr on reading this blog is also greater than 11 days, in case you were wondering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mail the frog to Kerrie, she can test it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never occurred to me your day 10 update was a day late due to lack of cell service. I immediately assumed you were eaten by a bear. Wondering what the bear's time to regret would be for eating you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wood frog. They call "lick it up".....say it high pitched and fast

    ReplyDelete