Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 27:

Miles:9 or 11
Water: 1.5 l
People who passed us:0

Resupplied in the morning. Ate a banana, then on the two mile walk to the trail I bought a quart of slightly bruised strawberries. The fresh fruit and veggies is the best part of being in a town.

This is a page from my awol guide book. It lists all the shelters and water sources, you can see the elevation line as well. I end most of my days marking how far we went, and looking at the next day. Tomorrow we are planning a short day, so I might take a detour to the highest point in new jersey.

We hiked. It was cool today. Nothing to report.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get a chance to comment yesterday and I wanted to make sure I said something today. You might think that this is a "boring" post, but I find it fascinating!! No seriously, I do. It's these little things about the trip...how much food do you carry? What happens if you run out of food? How much gear do you have? How many changes of clothes? How do you know how many miles you've gone? Where do you get your water? What time do you start in the morning? What time do you quit? Do you have daily goals? Weekly goals? How do you know where the next town is? Is there a worn trail, or do you have to pave your own way? You don't need to answer all of these questions--you could even use them as fodder for future posts, or just ignore them all together. At any rate, stay safe and dry out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a, good point, I've been pretty immersed in this stuff for a year, so it is easy to forget not everyone else has. I'll start a series of slice of life posts. Great idea.

    For now. I'm listening to the pens, the cup, so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? There you've spawned more questions. Are you blogging from your phone? How do you charge it? What #FirstWorld things do you miss? Or not miss? Tell me more about the shelters. Do they have walls, doors, or are they more like lean-tos? I'm glad you get to listen to the Pens! I'll probably miss the end, like I normally do, because I'll fall asleep. I'd like to see Pittsburgh win tonight, because it would be nice to win the championship at home and that crowd would go freakin' nuts!! Any way, I'm off to bed. Good night traveler! Wishing you safe travels and pretty days ahead!

      Delete