Saturday, June 18, 2016

Day 36: special guests!

Miles: 5
Water: disgusting
Boardgames: 2

Camped at a state park last night right on a lake. I got up early because I thought the staff was going to yell at me, but nobody showed up until 8. So I had a whole beach and lake to myself all morning. Watched the swallows skimming bugs off the lake. Then Sat on the dock and watched fish catching bugs off the lake. Wondered what the hell the bugs were doing there when everyone wants to eat them. I saw some turtle tracks on the beach.  Made me wish I could stay another night to watch the turtles nesting.

Mike and Phil came to today, they are hiking today and tomorrow with me. It's been a lot of fun to have them along, it's a good pick me up after my first week solo hiking. Mike has old man foot and I was worried he wouldn't be able to do hike. But we crushed five miles to one of the nicest shelters. Phil is just naturally ready to hike and could probably do bigger days than me.

One of the guys who tends the shelter gave us beer. A ton of through hikers showed up and applied maximum bronage. There was literally a dude named monster, six foot something, all abs with an accent, and he hikes 20s every day. He is designed to make me feel inadequate.

Short pointless post today, tomorrow we do a ten, then they head back Monday. I might have them drive me for a resupply, but I still have a lot of food, don't know yet.

Oh and they brought an ipod! Radio and grindy metal, can't wait.

Oh a different frog today. I think he was a smaller wood frog like the one we saw early on. You can sorta see him in the photo.

1 comment:

  1. All-in-all, sounds like a great day! Yay beer! I hope the weather is treating you well. And don't you worry about Monster--my money is on you in a trivia challenge vs him. :)

    ReplyDelete