Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 33; day 1 solo

Miles: 11

Water: 3l

Its really weird hiking alone for real.

It really struck me when I stopped at a shelter for lunch, and there was no chit chat. Nobody to talk to, just the grim eating of a peanut butter and honey tortilla. We didn't talk too much while hiking, so that felt mostly the same, it's the in between times where something is missing.

Saw Jamie off at a train station today, right now he is an hour away from home, riding with his brother. And I'm laying on a rock. Procrastinating on putting up my tent.

Jamie let me swap out some gear with him before he left. Very cool of him, so tonight I get to try out the luxury of a two man tent instead of my one man coffin. He also lent me his sleeping bag liner, so hopefully I won't stick to my sleeping pad as badly on humid nights. I'll test both out tonight, I went past the shelter I was going to stay at. It didn't have water, a bear box, or a privy, so nothing to offer me. Instead I'm stealth camping beside the trail. I just have to hope no park authorities come by and find me.

Mad Mike and Phil are coming to meet me on Saturday, so I'm excited about that.

Right now I'm off to eat some food and lighten that heavy pack up some.

5 comments:

  1. If I had a teleportation device, I would use it to visit you for lunches or dinners. One of the first things I worried about for you (after I learned of Jamie's altered plans) was these in between times. I know you'll be fine "on the trail," but I think the down times will be challenging. Good luck to you, friend!! We are sending good vibes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to have to leave you hanging buddy. I can prerecord some canned chitchat and send it to you if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh don't worry. I can still relentlessly text. It isn't that different from being at work :)

    ReplyDelete